Wednesday, October 10, 2012

College Essay


Beginning at the age of 2, I pursued my desire to be a gymnast. I began in a mommy and me class with my mom. As I got older I improved and moved quickly up in the levels. By the time I was five, I was competing competitively. I did very well on all four of the gymnastics events, even becoming a state champion several times. However, vault was my strongest event. My coaches said, “I was very fast coming down the vault runway.” More and more people saw my speed and suggested to my mother that I should run track. So I began running at the age of 7. Based on my performance from the very beginning I was being noticed by everyone. People were asking where did that little girl come from! The moment I stepped on that track I knew it was going to be my passion and ten years later it still is. Ultimately, I came to realize that gymnastics and track were not two sports you could do at the same time, so I had to choose. After many hours of thinking I realized I really wanted to stick to track. To this day I’m glad I chose what I chose. We all know that runners need endurance, so to help me with my running I decided to take up swimming. It was the best thing that ever happened to me because I was running my best in track as a result of my swimming during that time. Thankfully, I was able to balance my schedule and continue doing both sports. Swimming kept me in great shape and I really enjoyed doing it.
You ever wake up one day and just have the urge to do something? Well I did, and my urge was to play basketball. Something I realized, after watching the NBA and WNBA games with my dad. To me, basketball looked like it would be a lot of fun so I told my mom to sign me up. She told me that it was not possible to do swimming, track and basketball, so I had to drop at least one sport. I knew I did not want to stop track so I gave up swimming. Once again I had to choose. Eventually I moved up to the next level and found a travel basketball team to play on. Again this was another sport I was excelling in. My coach told me I was a natural so I continued to play throughout high school. I love basketball just as much as I love track, but track is more my thing. I believe once an athlete, always an athlete in any sport, which is what brought me back to swimming again on my school’s swim team. So as you can see I was born an athlete and always will be. I’m so blessed to be gifted with these talents and I use them to my advantage. Having a passion for all these activities helped me realize that I am very knowledgeable with sports. I believe that in the future I do have the ability to be an athletic director or something along that line. I know in my heart that I would really enjoy making that my career. With all my years and experiences with sports, that’s how I came to my decision to major in Sports Management/Administration.

No comments:

Post a Comment